Posted on September 21st, 2016
Posted by Julene
I was recently asked quite a few questions about my practice, why I do what I do, what treatments really get me excited and even my predictions for future techniques. Over the next few days I’ll share the questions and my answers.
Which treatments are you most excited about? And why?
I am a surgeon, and while I love the surgical results I can achieve for women, I fully understand the limitations of surgery, as well as the fact that not all women desire surgical intervention. With surgery, I am not directly improving skin quality…I am lifting skin that continually ages, thins, and loses youthful collagen and elasticity. If I can help patients truly improve the quality of their skin, then patients may be able to avoid surgery longer, undergo fewer surgical revisions over their lifetimes, as well as improve the surgical result and its longevity, in those who do choose to add surgery to their intervention program. Part of the way to avoid an over-operated look is to avoid too many operations. With proper surgical techniques and the addition of so many newer and more meaningful nonsurgical interventions, I love the fact that my patients are taking longer to look their age!
I am most excited about:
- Skin care products that have therapeutic amounts of ingredients that can be combined to target the most common skin aging problems (cleansers, toners, antioxidants, exfoliants, hyaluronic acid replenishment, vitamins and growth factors, collagen stimulators, bleaching agents)
- Injectables to treat volume loss (loss of fat and collagen) that last longer and can be used in a “panfacial” way, not just in localized areas, for the most natural results
- Nonsurgical options that now can truly improve the quality of skin by increasing the content of collagen, hyaluronic acid and elastin (the latter being the hardest thing to increase by any modality)
- New nonsurgical methods of tightening skin, especially in the lower face and NECK. For so long, the neck has been the “missing piece of the puzzle”…women hate their aging necks…and surgery used to be the ONLY option to really tighten the neck in a meaningful way, since lasers cannot be used as aggressively on the neck as on the face. For skin tightening of the face and neck (and also nonfacial areas), the single greatest new tool in our armamentarium is Microneedling with Radiofrequency. The only one of these devices currently on the market that has been scientifically shown to even remotely approach a surgical facelift or neck lift is Profound, by Syneron-Candela. Scientific studies and clinical trials have proven that the amount of radiofrequency (heat) energy delivered by Profound causes an increase in the amount of collagen, hyaluronic acid, and ELASTIN in the skin. We can see increase in dermal volume (like a filler), skin surface textural improvement (like with a chemical or laser peel), skin tightening of the face and neck (best alternative to a surgical lift…one study compares it to 80% of a facelift result), and the ability to truly contour the face and neck by reducing fat in desired areas (like the fat of the jowls and neck). Some of our Before and Afters almost look like a facelift or neck lift or neck liposuction was done. Profound is a single treatment, in-office procedure with results seen in 1 to 3 months with about a week of downtime (swelling and mild bruising).
- For the body, there is a brand new FDA approved version of UltraShape (it’s called UltraShape Power) that reduces fat 32% in each treatment area…that’s compared to CoolSculpting’s 18% fat reduction, and Sculpsure’s 13% fat reduction, making UltraShape Power the most effective fat reduction device for nonsurgical body contouring on the market today. UltraShape also allows a larger treatment area per session and more fat lost in fewer treatments sessions than all other modalities. UltraShape Power offers 20% more fat reduction than the current UltraShape device. My office is completing the clinical trial now that led to last week’s FDA approval of UltraShape Power, so this is news hot off the press!!!
- For vaginal rejuvenation, my office just completed a clinical trial using the CO2RE Intima laser (fractional CO2 laser by Syneron-Candela, that has both facial and vaginal applications) with 2 GYN doctors to treat post-menopausal women suffering from VVA (Vulvovaginal Atrophy) or atrophic vaginal changes of menopause (stress urinary symptoms, dryness, itching, tightness or looseness, painful intercourse, prolapse). CO2RE Intima also benefits postpartum women suffering from VRS (Vaginal Relaxation Syndrome) characterized by looseness, orgasmic dysfunction, stress urinary symptoms and laxity. Some of the improvements seen are of course functional and improved by the internal portion of the laser procedure, but the CO2RE Intima laser also improves the external appearance of the labial tissues during the external portion of the treatments. This is a simple in-office 3-treatment series of the laser requiring no anesthesia or downtime, with results being seen as soon as days after the 1st of 3 monthly treatments. One annual maintenance treatment is recommended to maintain results (to deal with continued aging in both the postpartum and menopausal patient, and loss of estrogen in the menopausal or breast cancer-treated patient).